Alumni and Friends News - January and February, 2009
- 2008 College of Pharmacy Donors –The gifts from our alumni and friends to the Southwestern College of Pharmacy help us reach our goals and continue the strong tradition of excellence that we have all come to expect from SWOSU College of Pharmacy. Every gift is appreciated, and every gift counts! We thank each and every one of you for your support, and invite each of you to participate in giving during 2009…our 70th anniversary.
- Foust Becomes Deputy Director of Oklahoma State Board of Pharmacy – John A. Foust was hired as the new Executive Director for the Board effective January 1, 2009. John holds a B.S. degree in Pharmacy from Southwestern Oklahoma State University (1977) and a Pharm.D. from the University of Oklahoma. He served as a Compliance Officer with the Board in 1998, and served on several Board rules committees over the years. Most recently John served as the Director of Pharmacy at INTEGRIS Grove General Hospital in Grove, OK and Willow Crest Hospital in Miami, OK. He has extensive experience in both independent and chain retail pharmacy, and has operated a consultant pharmacist business for hospitals for over 20 years. John and his wife Susan, also a SWOSU pharmacy graduate (1977), have three children. John has been active in Boy Scouts for over three decades, and was awarded scouting’s Silver Beaver Award in 1999. He is a member of OPhA and OSHP.
- Chris Deges (1993) of Wichita Falls, Texas sends news that he passed exam to become board certified as a nuclear pharmacist. Way to go, Chris!
- Send Your News
- Pharmacy Chicks Reconnect for 40th Birthday - Beckie Trisler Bates (1991) of Marshall, TX; Shannon Hunt Bonnarens (1990) of Cache, OK; Frana Klotz Walcker (1991) of Beulah, ND; and Rhetta Smallwood York (1990) of Amarillo, TX, reconnected last year for a 40th birthday celebration in Weatherford, where they all met while attending pharmacy school. Amongst a weekend of visiting and reminiscing, the pharmacy chicks called upon Dr. Steve Pray to provide a tour of the pharmacy school to see the remodeling of the classrooms, labs, student lounge and need-for-remodeling in pharmacy annex. A walk around campus and drive around Weatherford followed, allowing the opportunity to view the changes since their last visit to Weatherford and SWOSU.
Beckie Bates, Frana Walcker, Steve Pray, Shannon Bonnarens and Rhetta York tour one of the remodeled pharmacy labs.
Shannon Bonnarens, Rhetta York, Frana Walcker and Beckie Bates sit in one of the Pharmacy Annex classrooms.
- Pharmacy Alumni Group on Facebook – Are you one of the many who use Facebook to keep up with friends? If not, consider joining the free-access social networking website that connects people. Be sure to join the SWOSU College of Pharmacy Alumni group that has been created on Facebook. This is a group for students who have graduated and received their diploma from the SWOSU College of Pharmacy. Updates regarding the school, general pharmacy news, and the pharmacy alumni association will also be dispersed.
- 2009 Homecoming is October 24! - The College of Pharmacy will celebrate SWOSU homecoming with special events on Saturday: a come-and-go Open House between 10AM and 1PM, a 50-Year Pharmacy Recognition Ceremony at 11AM, and a complimentary lunch following the ceremony. Also, a possible 25-year class reunion! And who knows what else!?! All pharmacy alumni and friends are invited to attend the pharmacy homecoming activities. The COP activities will be held on the 3rd floor in the Chemistry, Pharmacy, Physics building.
More details about all of the SWOSU and College of Pharmacy homecoming activities will be sent later in the year.
The College of Pharmacy will honor the Class of 1959 at the 50-Year Pharmacy Graduate Recognition Ceremony. Special class reunions are encouraged (40-Year, 30-Year, 25-Year, 20-Year and 10-Year are suggested). Contact the College of Pharmacy Alumni Office for class reunion assistance.
In addition to the COP events, a plethora of university-wide activities will be held throughout the day, including the parade, alumni reception and SWOSU football game. Please be sure to mark your calendar and make plans to attend SWOSU Homecoming in October.
- Class of 1959 – Members of the golden class can reconnect and reminisce at the 50-Year Pharmacy Graduate Recognition Ceremony held in conjunction with the SWOSU College of Pharmacy’s Open House, held on Homecoming day, Saturday, October 24. Walk the halls, which will be lined with photos from the 1959 Yearbook, and enjoy a plethora of memories with your friends and family. More information will be sent to the golden class soon.
- Class of 1984 – There is a rumor that a 25-year class reunion (for the combined classes of 1983, 1984 and 1985) will be planned for either 2009 SWOSU Homecoming or another time during the year. If you are interested in more information about the class reunion rumor, contact the College of Pharmacy Alumni & Development Office (firstname.lastname@example.org or 580-774-3190 or email@example.com). Twenty-five years, baby! It’s time for you to visit your pharmacy school again…to remember, rekindle, and reconnect!
Craig Inman, Carey Bridges, Craig Stone
- New ‘One Grand Club’ Members – The following pharmacy graduates are new members of the One Grand Club: Kenneth Austin (1978), Gravette, AR; Beckie Trisler Bates (1991), Marshall, TX; Bob Dishman (1959), Lawton, OK; Gerrie Fletcher (1978), Chesterfield, MO; Benny & ElGenia French (Faculty), Weatherford, OK; Jack Gillum (1976), Amarillo, TX; Thelma Harms (1962), Clinton, OK; Lowell & Norberta Irby (1955), Artesia, NM; Darlene Johnston (2008), Weatherford, OK; Vicki Nall (1979), El Paso, TX; Parkview Pharmacy (Jim Pieratt, Jerry Moore, Terry Moore), Guymon, OK; Doug & Cheryl Sisemore (2008), Oklahoma City, OK; Kevin Wilson (2008), Wallace, NC.
You can join the club by making a one-time $1,000 donation or committing to a pledge of $1,000 to be paid over the next 2 to 4 years. Maybe an annual pledge of $250 for the next 4 years? Maybe an annual donation of $500 for two years? Even an annual pledge of $100 for 10 years is acceptable. Your tax-deductible donation can be made with a check or with your credit card. To receive recognition for being a part of this ONE GRAND CHALLENGE, a donation/pledge of at least $1,000 is required. And don’t forget, if you work for a company that matches donations, please include the company's matching gift form with your donation. (More Information)
- Pharmacy Alumni Association Membership – Renew Today - The Pharmacy Alumni Association (PAA) exists to support the Southwestern Oklahoma State University College of Pharmacy students, alumni, faculty, and friends.
Through annual and lifetime memberships, the SWOSU Pharmacy Alumni Association exists to assist the College of Pharmacy in its efforts to educate pharmacy students, to provide opportunities for interaction with pharmacy alumni, and to recognize the contributions and achievements of pharmacy alumni. The Pharmacy Alumni Association is becoming more active as more pharmacy alumni become members. Your participation in the Pharmacy Alumni Association is vital to the continued success of the PAA and the College of Pharmacy. Please join the Pharmacy Alumni Association today.
- In Memoriam
- Daniel Keith McCarver (2008)
Faculty, Staff and Administration News - January and February, 2009
- SWOSU Pharmacy Professor & Mercy Health Center Employee Win Prestigious Award – Associate Professor, Dr. Edna Patatanian, and Burl Beasley of Mercy Health Center in Oklahoma City were selected to receive the 10th annual ASHP Best Practices Award in Health-System Pharmacy for their program entitled "Pharmacist Medication Profile Review to Decrease Hazardous Falls and Improve Patient Quality of Care as Part of a Pharmacy Fall Prevention Program." (More)
- Pharmacy Dean - A dean’s search committee, chaired by Dr. Benny French, has been formed and the interviewing process will begin in January. Until the position is filled, Dr. James Scruggs will serve as interim dean. Dr. Scruggs, who recently retired, served as acting dean in 1988 prior to the hiring of Dr. Bergman.
From 1939 to 1948, Pharmacy was first a department and then a division at Southwestern. In 1948, it became a school and Dr. Alfred Schram, a chemistry professor, was named acting dean. In 1949, W.D Strother became the first dean of the School. Dr. Walter L. Dickson led the school from 1965 to 1979. Dr. H.F. Timmons served as acting dean twice (1979-1981) as well as Dean of the School of Health Sciences (1987). From 1981 to 1987, Dr. B.G. Keller, Jr. held the position of Dean. Dr. Scruggs served as acting dean in 1988. Dr. Bergman then led the school for two decades.
Who will become the next leader of the SWOSU College of Pharmacy remains to be seen, but the tradition and dedication to excellence in pharmacy education will continue as the College of Pharmacy celebrates 70 years of excellence in 2009.
- SWOSU College of Pharmacy Reported Scholarly and Academic Activity (FY08 and 09) – College of Pharmacy faculty have reported scholarly activity (Activity Lists: Extramural and Intramural).
Student News - January and February, 2009
- SWOSU Pharmacy Student Secures $2,500 for Local Free Clinic - SWOSU College of Pharmacy senior Melinda Le (of Oklahoma City applies for grant for the Weatherford Agape Medical Clinic. (More)
- Kappa Epsilon Invites You to Join Them in the Fight Against Cancer - The members of Kappa Epsilon will be walking in the Relay for Life of Custer County on April 24th and 25th, 2009, to raise money and awareness for the programs and services provided by the American Cancer Society. The pharmacy organization’s goal is to raise $4,000 to help achieve Relay for Life’s goal of $87,000. (For More Info & To Donate)
- Phi Lambda Sigma is selling “College of Pharmacy” throws as one of their fundraising projects. They also have a limited number of throws with the previous “School of Pharmacy” seal available for purchase. (Order Form)
Proceeds from the sale of the 48” x 68” throws will be used to help send interested pharmacy students to the Utah School on Alcohol and Substance Abuse held each year in June in Salt Lake City as well as help send Phi Lambda Sigma representatives to the annual APhA Convention.
The Alpha Psi Chapter of Phi Lambda Sigma was founded in the Spring of 1993. Phi Lambda Sigma is a pharmacy leadership society. Phi Lambda Sigma's primary purpose is to honor and recognize those individuals who have demonstrated significant leadership ability in pharmacy as students or practitioners. The Alpha Psi Chapter of Phi Lambda Sigma is very involved with various pharmacy school and community activities
- College of Pharmacy Student Organizations:
Send Your News
We really want to hear from you, i.e. career, enjoying retirement, just married, special achievement, family, etc.